For several years, our TV lived on the mantle, which was a nice location design-wise. Neck cramp wise, however, the location left much to be desired. I always wanted the TV to be installed on the large (very empty) wall adjacent to the mantle wall. So the day finally came that we acquired a wall mount for the TV. I looked all over for inspiration for how to hide the cords and have a home for the cable box. Many the tutorial will show you some awesome ideas for hiding the cords – some fall within building code, while others not so much! Did you know that it is against fire code to “hide” your TV electrical cord in the wall? It’s fine for the cable cord, but not for electrical. At the end of this post, I will include some of the nifty things I discovered in my learning process. As for now, I’m going to stick with how we did our project.
Firstly, get a load of this inspiration photo! Isn’t it Awesome Sauce! (as my teenager would say!) So we set out to duplicate this look in our humble abode.
Here is the before shot of our room:
Can you see the design challenges here? That wall is 16′ tall! And right next to it is our oversize mantle. Since, I wanted the mantle to remain the focal point (of course), I tried not to make the TV Wall become too much of a feature. I wanted it to be neat and subtle and tidy up those cords. With all of our recent purchases with Nebraska Furniture Mart, we had received a $100 gift card. So, we decided that it was time to get that TV swivel wall mount we had been eyeing. We got a NFM brand, which was less than half the price of the brand names. And we couldn’t be happier with our wall mount. Some WD40 does wonders for making the hinges easier to move, by the way. Knowing we were going to paint afterwards, we were free to scribble all over the wall as needed.
First we marked and measured the placement of all the support pieces. Each of the 1 x 2s was place about 1.25″ smaller than the 4′ x 2′ panels. So the overall “framed out” section measured about 46.5″ x 22.5′, because I wanted the supports to be hidden behind the panel.
Here’s a photo of our progress so far:
For the center panel, we needed to remove the center area to go over the wall mount. In hindsight, it probably would have been better to install the wall mount after the supports. On the other hand, when we installed the wall mount, all our attention was placed upon making it level and making sure we hit a beam behind the drywall. Either way, it worked out just fine.
For the last panel, we made sure to determine that placement of the shelf and drill the hole in the right locations for the cords to be hidden by the cable box.
We nailed in the panels with tiny finish nails and countersunk them a bit. After filling all the holes with a dab of wood putty, I put on a coat of gel stain.
The next weekend, the room received a fresh coat of paint, and here’s the wonderful “after” photo. Unfortunately, there are still a few cords, but definitely minimal.
Here’s some of the ideas I ran across in my research:
1. This is a mantle with cord hiding features built in. Neat idea.
2. This relies on a nearby closet for the cord hiding. Still a great idea.
3. This is a system that hides cords safely inside the wall without violating code.:
And lastly, this is a link to the website where I got my inspiration photo: